Get Growing was set up because we are passionate about growing food, concerned about climate change and peak oil, and would like to support people in London to have greater control of the food they eat.
Get Growing is a social enterprise based in Hackney. Our aim is to:
* train people to grow food using natural methods, with the use of structured sessions and learning materials
* establish a social network for participants through which experience, knowledge and resources can be shared
*increase awareness about the dual challenges of climate change and peak oil and how our food choices can reduce our impact
* build stronger, networked communities that are ‘climate resilient’
* increase access to a variety of fresh local food and help people to make healthy food choices – local, seasonal, fresh
* promote physical and mental well-being through gardening
* beautify space through implementing well-designed gardens, and inspiring others to grow food at home
* enhance biodiversity within urban areas
* encourage recycling, composting and water saving.
We wanted it to be a social enterprise as this allows us to be more sustainable by combining business rigour with the ethical principles of a non-profit organisation. Through the securing of grants we are able to offer our services to more people.